FDB is a Python
library package that implements Python Database API 2.0-compliant support for the open source relational database Firebird®. In addition to the minimal feature set of the standard Python DB API, FDB also exposes the entire native client API of the database engine. Notably:
- Automatic data conversion from strings on input.
- Automatic input/output conversions of textual data between UNICODE and database character sets.
- Support for prepared SQL statements.
- Multiple independent transactions per single connection.
- All transaction parameters that Firebird supports, including table access specifications.
- Distributed transactions.
- Firebird BLOB support, including support for stream BLOBs.
- Support for Firebird Events.
- Support for Firebird ARRAY data type.
- Support for all Firebird Services
FDB is implemented in Python on top of Firebird client library using ctypes.
FDB works with Firebird 2.0 and newer, Python 2.7+ and 3.0+.
FDB is free – covered by a permissive BSD-style license that both commercial and noncommercial users should find agreeable.
FDB was developed as replacement for (no longer maintained) KInterbasDB